The Essential Enquiry 'Equal or Equivalent Entities?' About Two Things as Same, Similar, Related, or Different
View PDF | Save PDF
- Anousha Athreya, S. Koby Taswell, Sohyb Mashkoor, and Carl Taswell
- Brain Health Alliance Virtual Institute, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694 USA
- We discuss definitions of entities, equality, and equivalence as used by a transdisciplinary diversity of research fields including mathematics, statistics, computational linguistics, computer programming, knowledge engineering, music theory, and genomics. Declaring definitions for these concepts in the situational context of each domain specific field supports the essential question 'Equal or equivalent entities?' about two things as same, similar, related, or different for that field. Pattern recognition performed by artificial intelligence applications whether with supervised and unsupervised learning or with deductive and inferential logic, with machine learning or logical reasoning, can be described as the automated process of answering this fundamental question about the similarity, relatedness, or difference between two things.
- DREAM principles, equivalent entities, semantic web, knowledge engineering, ontology, scientific reproducibility, plagiarism.
Brainiacs Journal 2020 Volume 1 Issue 1 Edoc PEDADC885
- received 2020-12-13, published 2020-12-30
2020V1I1 | 2021V2I1 | 2022V3I1 | 2022V3I2 | 2023V4I1